Skip to main content

Featured Post

Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park infographics: what's built/what's coming/what's missing, who's responsible, + project FAQ/timeline (pinned post)

ESD: roofing contractor that poured powder on Pacific Street "was appropriately reprimanded" (but we still don't know what it was)

I wrote yesterday about an incident captured on Atlantic Yards Watch, and now I have a partial response.

On Saturday morning (12/3/11) at about 7:30 am, workers for Wolkow Braker Roofing, which has a $4.3 million contract to work on the roof for the Barclays Center, were spotted taking a white drum from a van, inspecting it, and upending it on Pacific Street, discharging a white powdery substance.

Asking questions

I queried the firm, and Empire State Development (ESD), which oversees Atlantic Yards, as to the nature of the powder (and whether it poses hazards), the appropriate procedure for disposing of such powder, and, if the procedure was improper, what action would be taken.

I got a partial response today from Arana Hankin, Director, Atlantic Yards Project, for ESD, who said "the contractor was appropriately reprimanded yesterday and we don’t expect this to happen again."

That didn't answer my first two questions, or regarding the nature of the reprimanded, so I requested further clarification from Hankin. If and when I get it, I will post an update.

Comments